Monday, April 23, 2007

Stuff That Looks Like Other Stuff

Even people who are living under a rock know about the tragedy at Virginia Tech last week so I'm not going to walk you through what happened. Of course, everybody is talking about this thing - including mothers, grandmothers, grandmother's grandmothers, and grandmother's grandmothers' grandmothers. And out of those conversations come an interesting observation that I have come across. Sure, you probably already gave me zero credibility with the grandmother's grandmothers' grandmother stunt I just pulled, but just stick with me for a while here.

I've been told that I look like Seung-Hui Cho and needless to say, that bothers me a bit. How would you like to resemble a nutcase? Guys want to look like famous movie stars like Bill Bixby or Ray Bolger. They don't want to look like Hitler or Mao Zedong... even if they are handsome. The first time I was told, I dismissed it as hearsay. But when multiple people with no relation to each other tell you the same thing, even O.J. Simpson's lawyers can't bail you out of that one. So you be the judge... me on the left, Seung-Hui Cho on the right...

You know, that I look at that, there does appear to be an uncanny resemblance. Actually, that would explain why people on the bus have been giving me the stink eye. That would also explain why I've been getting special discounts for dog meat. I guess it's not all bad.

But really, saying that Koreans are catching a bad break is an understatement of Biblical proportions. Yesterday, I was watching the season finale of The Apprentice and the Korean guy, James, made it to the final two. But you know what happened. Donald Trump fired James. Talk about pouring salt on an open wound. Is it a coincidence that in the same week, the Korean community gets a black eye from the Virginia Tech incident AND the Korean on The Apprentice gets fired? Well, yea, it probably is.

One last thing... since we're on reality tv shows, was anyone also bummed out when Sanjaya got the boot? I guess it was expected but wow could anyone not like this kid? Here are my top 5 reasons why I was rooting for him:

5. He was the only Asian person.
4. He was the dark horse.
3. He can't sing.
2. He looks like Hector Jimenez from Nacho Libre. (see below)
1. His name rhymes with diarrhea.


O well, there's always next time.