Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Spare Some Change?

For some reason, I've noticed an increase in the hobo population in the past few days. And I'm not just talking about hobos. I'm talking about bums, homeless people, transients, and vagabonds alike. I have no idea where they came from. It's like they're here on spring break. Perhaps, they've come to feast on the growing number of tourist who foolishly underestimate the hobo community.

See, nobody ever thinks about the hobo factor when they go on vacation. And once when they run into a tenacious hobo, forget about it. They might as well personally hand their spare change straight over to the drug dealer. You know, with all the hobos that hang around the main library, you would think that we would have some of the smartest hobos around. But I usually see them passed out on the street or high on something. Hopefully, these people will get the help they need because apparently, the library isn't helping the cause. I guess whoever thinks libraries make people smart needs to go back to the drawing board.

Speaking of being wrong, a nice non-hobo-ish lady asked me for some directions this afternoon. She specifically asked me where 5th Street was and so I told her it was the next block. Having done a good deed, I gave myself a pat on the back. I got some weird looks but it was worth it. Helping the lost find their way is no small accomplishment. But then I hear the lady again asking the exact same question to some guy behind me. I thought... Ouch! What a slap in the face! How could she not believe me? I've been living in this city my whole life! And of course, to add insult to injury, the guy says, "It's right here." And you know what? He was right.