Saturday, May 12, 2007

Excuse My French...

Hopefully, you haven't noticed but it's been a while since I last updated. I was all ready to update last week but some things came up and yada, yada, yada. But in so doing, I think I've ifound a true time machine. I call it "laziness." Here's how it works. First, you plan on doing something. Then, instead of doing it, you get lazy. And soon enough, you will find yourself living two weeks into the future! I'm still trying to figure out how to reverse time, but I'll save that for a rainy day.

Anywho, last week was Cinco de Mayo and I'm still having trouble understanding the big hoopla. I know why they celebrate it - it's a celebration of Mexico's victory over the French in some big battle, if I'm not mistaken. I know it's not Mexico's Independence Day and I know it's not Mexico's Dependence Day. That much I know. So assuming that is true, why would you make a big fuss over a victorious battle over the French? This is the French we're talking about, people! Nobody loses to them! Well, I shouldn't say that. A year after the Mexicans defeated the French forces, the French came back and took over Mexico City. I guess even the French military gets their 15 minutes of fame. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Why, o why, must Cinco de Mayo become one of the biggest celebrations in America? You don't see people celebrating the rising of the sun every morning or celebrating the opening of a new Starbucks - not sane people anyway. Those are givens. We know the sun will rise. We know there will be a new Starbucks. And we know the French will lose in battle.

I suppose I may be being a bit of a hypocrite. After all, my blog thrives on blowing things out of proportion. But I still think Cinco de Mayo is unnecessary but sometimes the most necessary things in life are the unnecessary things. And sometimes, I just like to make stuff up. You know, like if I said the French won a battle.