Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Panic Button

So yesterday, I had to go over to meet up with an architect at his office, which is about three to four blocks from where I work. He's on the fourth floor so I go up there, we do business and I leave. So I'm going down the elevator and all of a sudden, I hear the sound of a phone ringing. So I look over to my left and it's coming from the emergency speakerphone/intercom thing that's built into the wall of the elevator. You know, the thing you would use if the elevator got stuck and you were moments away from giving birth. But I guess I was just leaning up against it and accidentally hit that big, black emergency call button. Of course, I didn't mean to hit to button so I started to panic a bit. Then, ringing stopped as if someone had picked up on the other side so I talk into the phone and say something like "Hey, there's no emergency. I accidentally hit the button." Then, I hear some inaudible voices and finally some guy on the phone, in a fast pace, yells out: "There's an emergency in elevator one!" Then, after that, I hear a lady. And she goes, in a concerned and anxious tone: "Hello?...Hello?!?...Hello?!?!" But by then, the elevator is at the lobby and I'm already out of the elevator. So I rush over to the security guard by the entrance to tell him there's nothing wrong. But sure enough, he's gone. So what do I do? I do the honorable thing and run out of that building as fast as I could! Well, I wasn't really running. It was more of a power walk. But as if on cue, I walk into a friend from church outside the building. So maybe it was sign from God that I should stay and make ammends for my accidental doings. But then again, maybe it wasn't because she was late for work and couldn't hang around to chat. Or that's what she said anyway. I didn't mind. I just wanted to get away. But it's odd how everyone I bump into on the streets says that they have to go because they're late for work... even on the weekends. Hmmm...

Anywho, in retrospect, there was probably nothing to panic about. Sometimes you do something stupid, and you react ten times more stupider. Or sometimes you just proceed to waste people's time by making them read about it on your blog. I actually had to go back to the same place today and naturally, nothing happened. I wasn't about to make the same mistake twice! Of course, I stood at the opposite end of the elevator this time, far away from the button. Now I know not to lean against elevator walls, no matter how tired I am. But you can't blame me right? I mean it was a long day at work yesterday. Well... actually, it was only about 9:00 a.m. at the time... but uh... uh... but that's not the point.

Just be careful in them elevators. Those emergency buttons actually work.